Thursday, February 18, 2021

AND WE'RE BACK!!

     Ladies and gentlemen! Young and old! I am coming to you LIVE and a bit hyperactive from my bedroom desk to give you this breaking news on my project.

    As I promised, I've come with my decision as to which movie feel I'll be pursuing further, and the decision is that I'm not deciding :)

    In all honesty, what I wanted most was to combine elements from the two sets of inspirations, but I have a habit of being much too ambitious and felt that I'd better just stick to one if I was going to get this done in a timely manner. Well, I went on a bit of a watching spree on YouTube today. Finding and taking notes on film openings that my teacher recommended for viewing, short films I thought pertained to my genres of interest, and videos I could turn to for help on technique and production methods, and I've come out of it with a vague but resolute idea for the premise of my film. I'll put my notes in here to share the journey that this was, and elaborate on what I took away from these viewings in this post. I realized after rambling way too much out of excitement that I should probably split this up into more than one post for the sake of not making you want to crawl into a hole, dear reader of mine, so I'll probably have a good few extra posts for this week. 



    I started off with the openings that my teacher recommended for everyone regardless of genre. 
    I liked the beginning of Silence of the Lambs, as it introduced the main character and gave context through costume, setting, action, etc. rather than dialogue. This was helpful because I want my opening to focus on establishing the main character and I really don't want to do that through dialogue or a "Narrating I." 
    From Lady Bird, I loved the way that the opening pulled you in and remained pretty calm until a dramatic act at the very end. That's something I might do with my film, as it seems like a good way to introduce the main conflict while allowing most of the opening to deal with character development. It's also a really intriguing way to hook the audience and give them a "promise" (as this Ted Talk on story telling states every film should have, but more on that in a later post).
    Emma was not only aesthetically brilliant, but the way that the music was so in-sync with the narrative world is something I would definitely try to emulate.

    Coming up, I'll show you what became of the battle of the genres, and discuss my final thoughts on what the premise of my film will be. From there, I'll start planning out the technicalities of the story and purpose of the opening. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elle Qui Pleure - A Retrospective on Self Love

       Hi aice, if you're reading this, I decided to keep my blog around to talk about my future endeavors. Feel free to read or not rea...