Sunday, March 7, 2021

Costume Design

     In this post, I'm going to explain my costume choices.



    First off: my dad's character. This was the first one I came up with. I put him in reading glasses because it would make sense for his character to need them to look at screens and documents, etc. I chose to have him wear a white undershirt and have his black uniform visibly hanging from a coat rack in the background to show that he has quite literally been stripped of his power, the white of his tank top representing his humanity and the black of the jacket symbolizing his bastardized government position.




    For the government agent, I was going to do a fully black outfit to show that she's been fully consumed by her power, nothing left but an agent of corruption. Then, I thought to myself that some of the best stories I've seen haven't been the ones to depersonalize their antagonist so completely. I realized that I didn't want her to be so one-dimensional. I gave her a white shirt and black suit, just like my dad, so that the only difference between these two people was their choice to keep the jacket on.

   
    I placed my little sister in shorts a knee brace, and sneakers, because those were most practical for the activities her character would be doing on the run. I gave her a white tank top again as a symbol of her humanity, but I specifically used a tank top to reflect her father character and show the apple not falling far from the tree, since she'll be continuing his legacy. The bag and jacket are what really bring in the genre, as cyberpunk characters often dress in techwear, a faction of fashion that values efficiency and functionality above all else. That means pockets, pockets, zippers, holsters, and more pockets. I didn't have any giant cargo items or chest rigs, so I opted for a big messenger bag and jacket with plenty of storage space. I'm quite satisfied with how it turned out. It creates a distinguishable silhouette and a cartoon-character-esque recognizability for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elle Qui Pleure - A Retrospective on Self Love

       Hi aice, if you're reading this, I decided to keep my blog around to talk about my future endeavors. Feel free to read or not rea...