Sunday, April 4, 2021

The journey to the Drive

      I really wanted to challenge myself with this project and make something more advanced than I ever have. Naturally, as a result of this, my editing process is replete with new effects and techniques I’ve never tried before. This made me insanely nervous. 

     Not necessarily because I wasn't sure if I could pull it off, I had YouTube tutorials to guide me through what I didn't know, but more so because I wasn't sure if my *computer* could pull it off. 

     I’ve been using Hitfilm Express as my go-to editing software for a while now, and I like it a lot. It feels like a real professional editing software, at least from my amateur perspective, and the amount of features it has at no cost as well as the vast expanse of tutorials and support available for the software online make me confident that I could make anything I set my mind to with this software at hand, perhaps TOO confident, I feared. 

     In the past, I’ve really not done much other than paste clips together, add in background music, and maybe put in some text. Even then, I had always experienced a bit of lag throughout the editing process, so my apprehension was real when I thought about layering visual effects, color grading, and even placing multiple videos on top of each other for the first time ever. 

    And guess what? My computer did lag. Big time.

     BUT I was determined to do what it took to make my film the way I envisioned it. So, although frustrating, I learned a lot of new things about the editing process, like:

- Pre-rendering composite shots to reduce lag and make my export faster.

- Connecting an external drive to my computer and linking exports and pre-renders to this drive instead of my computer to give the software more storage space to work with

- How to adjust the settings on my software for optimal performance 


     In the end, it was still a little laggy and still a little slow, but I made it through and learned things that allowed me to take my editing to the next level.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Elle Qui Pleure - A Retrospective on Self Love

       Hi aice, if you're reading this, I decided to keep my blog around to talk about my future endeavors. Feel free to read or not rea...