Friday, March 12, 2021

Copyright

 

 

   I am in fact *married* to the idea of using this song in my film, so I did some research on copyright law.

I read this article, and watched this YouTube video, to get an idea of what the process of acquiring permission would be and how it all works. 

Then, I went to ascap.com to search for the song's owners in the database.


For good measure, I will also be including the head of Film and TV at Glassnote Entertainment Group in my list of people to contact. After some digging, I found that all but Grumpy Beard Music, which had an email provided, are under the Universal Music Publishing group, so I looked for a coordinator of Film and TV there as well (it was harder than I expected). 

Now knowing where to go, I gathered contact information and drafted some messages to send that would properly request the appropriate permissions per the article I had read previously. I also read this to know exactly what to put in my request.


(example of one of the emails I drafted)


Then, it was time to send them out and wait for a response, keeping in mind that I may have to follow up later on to make sure that my request was received.

Overall, although copyright is a daunting thing that many people tend to overlook, I learned today that it isn't as scary as it seems, and this was a valuable learning experience for future pursuits.

P.S. If anyone I emailed is here reading this, hi! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Elle Qui Pleure - A Retrospective on Self Love

       Hi aice, if you're reading this, I decided to keep my blog around to talk about my future endeavors. Feel free to read or not rea...